View Single Post
Old 10-25-2020, 10:56 AM   #26
Alberta50fordor

Default Re: Overdrive transmissions

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
They didn't need them with the swing pedals starting in 1952 so the side cover has no extra mounting provisions. The one in your car also has the boss on the right side for right hand drive set ups for export to Australia and New Zealand. That's a Canadian Ford thing since they supplied a lot of stuff to the commonwealth countries.

If the tail shaft is different on the later transmission then it would take more work to use the later one. If it is the same, then it may be adaptable using the side cover from the one in the car. There may be a difference in gears but gears can sometimes be swapped as long as the whole set is used from the donor. If the later transmission can be identified then a person can find out for sure. Mac VanPelt of VanPelt Sales is the best guy to call on the Ford units. He also has a good book for the early Ford transmissions. A lot of the info crosses over. I use my 1949 thru 51 Lincoln Mercury overhaul manual to do my overdrive units.
You mean the first and second gear ratios are different or the construction? I’m going to try and pull my trans and compare it to this other one(either way mine has to come out)
Alberta50fordor is offline   Reply With Quote