View Single Post
Old 01-21-2013, 09:49 AM   #7
Special Coupe Frank

Default Re: Not Model A, Old Pierce Arrows

George (?) Pierce started out in business manufacturing bird-cages, then bicycles ( highly regarded ) before getting into the automobile business.

Pierces were often described as "America's Rolls-Royce", and were in the top-five of American Luxury marques, including Locomobile, Cunningham (Rochester, NY), Packard, and McFarlan.

They also built heavy trucks under the Pierce and Fleet-Arrow names.

As to the the headlights prouting from the fenders, this was a Pierce innovation and characteristic from 1913 to their end in 1938. However, they were supposedly outlawed in New York, because of the wide stance, which supposedly could cause an oncoming driver to think he was approaching two bicyclists or motorcyclists riding side-by-side, and try to drive between them... if true, this story would be ironic for an automobile made in Buffalo, NY...

Pierces were available with conventionally-mounted headlights; I have seen a few of these at Hershey, and find them very attractive.

The "purpling" of headlamp lenses / other old glass is suppsoedly due to lead content in the glass, which darkens the glass as it ages. I don't know if there is a way to reverse it. Certain mid-century coated camera lenses tend to yellow during storage - this can be reversed by exposing the glass to sunlight...

I would love to have a big, Brass Pierce.
Special Coupe Frank is offline   Reply With Quote