View Single Post
Old 03-12-2020, 02:01 AM   #1
Karl

Default Condenser Miss -Sort Of

For the last few months I have been plagued by an intermittent miss in my 34 . Seemed to occur under load and be worse when hot - I have posted on here regards this before. Changing out the coil , condenser and distributor gave no improvement I suspected the resistor but had good voltage to the coil when running . In desperation I changed out the fuel pump and even the carburetor. Nothing solved the problem . Good compression and vacuum ok so I thought valves were ok -I was at the end of my tether -it sounded and felt so much like a condenser even to the odd back fire but replacing the condenser with good tested units didn't help Well tonight I found it !!!

My helmet coil is fitted with a noise elimination condenser for the radio. This sits between two of the coil screws and connects to the power feed to the coil . What I think has been happening is the noise suppression condenser is intermittently shorting out to earth when hot resulting in a drop in coil voltage . and missing -Never heard of this before but the miss has gone away with disconnection of this condenser -The radio still plays fine with no interference!

I've been tricked thinking its fixed before but after 1 hours driving all is good so far

Karl