View Single Post
Old 06-27-2016, 09:46 AM   #1
Henry Floored

Default New block, a further discussion

Good morning, I am starting a new thread so as not to hijack corvette8n's thread about Edelbrock possibly being able to cast a new Flathead block.

I would like to turn the discussion to a new direction. Very simply what are your thoughts on a realistic price point for a new Flathead block? Now let me place this caveat. This theoretical new block would be cast in aluminum most likely. It would be stock appearing on the outside. It would be finish machined with only possibly a light honing necessary for the ring pack a person chooses. The porting would be greatly improved, at least as far as street requirements go. All original parts would interchange. The cylinder bores would most likely be 3 5/16".

For you guys that build them, what is the value to you of getting all of those attributes in a virgin crack free block?

Sorry if it sounds like I'm beating a dead horse. I am simply asking this question to gauge interest and aquire your knowledge.

As someone who has been covered with tons of cast iron dust porting, polishing relieving. I have fixed some cracks to save otherwise good engines. I have put my heart and soul into every Flathead I've had the pleasure of building. With that in mind and looking at a few of the invoices from the machine shop I have a little bit of an idea of what it takes time, effort and money wise to get a Flathead to the "put it together" stage.

Now I realize there is nothing like original iron. I realize FoMoCo cast millions of Flatty's. I realize that this isn't for everyone.

What I'm asking is again very simply, is there room for a replacement block yet? If so how much is it realistically worth to you for your project?
Henry Floored is offline   Reply With Quote