View Single Post
Old 07-15-2020, 10:38 AM   #12
Merc Cruzer

Default Re: Convertible top for a 1953 Mercury

rotorwrench,

I am waiting for the dimensions form the guy that send me the pictures. In the event that doesn't happen, I have Ford as a back up.

With the dimensions I could easily make the piece. I was thinking that they used the piece to improve the look between the last bow and the top of the window.

I agree with the dimpling metal at the location of the flathead screws, to make the heads flush. What it did find interesting was the top frame on e-bay for the 55', as it looks like a piece of plastic was used rather than steel.

The red trim seem to be a piece of welting on the front and the last bow of the top along with wrapping the seams on the side.

Sometimes getting this all correct is a pain in the butt, but I have always liked the challenge, and since I have the time, correct is the only way to do it.

Speaking of engineers, that is my Dad on the far left. I guess I should have started this project a few years back, it would have been so much easier to just ask. I still have some of his design drawings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad at Ford.jpg (80.3 KB, 23 views)

Last edited by Merc Cruzer; 07-15-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Merc Cruzer is offline   Reply With Quote