View Single Post
Old 06-16-2021, 09:16 PM   #1075
woofa.express

Default Re: tell a Model A related story

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemclark View Post
My Grandfathers neighbor bought a 1930 deluxe coupe new in the fall of 1930,when he got a new car in 1951 my Grandfather bought the coupe for $100 .My Grandmother drove as her car car until she bought another car after WW2 then my dad drove it.I have been working on it the last two years on an all original car that has everything on it that could wear out was.$12000+ and I have replaced everything to much to list.The car has 82000 miles on it and was always inside so the body has no rust or dents.The last I will do is paint it and replace the interior and maybe new safety glass although it was redone in 1972 and was parked in 1975 after the motor was completely rebuilt in a shop in Richmond Va. for $250 it had less than 100 miles on it since then and sat in the back of my dads 1200 sq ft storage building until I started on it again. It runs and drives as good as ever now.I can remember when I was a boy riding on the running board in the 60's, try that today.I was surprised that you can buy almost every part new or reconditioned.Rebuilding the brake system was different ,so was the gas guage.I am amazed how modern a 90 year old car can be made and still look the same. I have added turn signals to the cowl lights 1157 bulbs and a right tail light ,6 volt 60 amp alternator,seat belts , more modern distributor but still with points. All LED lights except the sealed beam headlights added in 1972 behind stock lenses that I might go LED too but am happy with their light for now. I kept the trunk instead of the rumble seat for more cargo room, I see trunks as rare .
You were most fortunate to inherit that motor car Steve. That is a must keep. Enjoyed reading your story. cheers, gary

And there are times when I have a long memory.
woofa.express is online now   Reply With Quote