View Single Post
Old 01-13-2015, 09:50 AM   #9
GOSFAST

Default Re: Copper rod bearings?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross F-1 View Post
Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember reading that HD rod bearings were made with a high copper content, sacrificing conformability and embeddability for high load bearing capacity? I'm disassembling a truck engine and am kind of surprised by these rod bearings. I could believe that all the tin and lead is simply worn off, but they are very uniformly worn, no sign of lead anywhere, and were not particularly sloppy. They are stamped as Federal Mogul 1505 CAA pieces from '62. Looking at FM's catalog (Sealed Power now) that's still a good number, but no mention of special alloys.

The mains are dated '57, also FM, and look conventional, and not badly worn.

Ever seen rod bearings like this?
Hi Ross, the "CA", "CAA", and the "CAB" series of Federal bearings didn't have the Lead-Tin overplate, only the "CP", "CPA", "CPB" and the "CPW's" had it. All the "C" series rod bearings are steel-backed and Copper-Alloy.

I still have a bunch of those 1505's in inventory, not sure if they'll be in production too much longer. If they are ordered from Federal now they are considered "Non-Returnable", this tells me they are at least thinking of stopping them somewhere along the line.

(Add) Much of the coatings seen on bearings is simply for "shelf-life", has been this way for years!

Thanks, Gary in N.Y.

P.S. The rod bearing shell in your photo appears to be worn out, but it's really hard to tell from photos?? The 9805CA bearings ('46/'48 according to Federal) are the same material
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Flathead Conn Rod Brgs-1505 A.JPG (82.5 KB, 18 views)
GOSFAST is offline   Reply With Quote