View Single Post
Old 10-16-2020, 12:44 PM   #10
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Paint recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed in Maine View Post
This is a topic that you can spend months studying. I was getting ready to paint my 31 slant windshield cabriolet in Kewanni Green and Elpointe green. I tried to get a close match to what I thought was correct and received many pictures from fellow barners. Everyone's car was different but very nice to look at. I came to the conclusion that no one knows exactly what the original colors where like due to aging. My local PPG dealer was useless and very expensive! Take a close look at TCP paints. I chose the new paint system, acrylic urethane. The paint is fantastic, I can't say enought about how tough and shiny this paint is. It seemed easier to use and it was difficult to make it run!!
TCP has a wide, wide range of paint colors available. I felt the cost of a quart of this paint was low enough to mix my own! I picked a green, blue, yellow, white and black and practiced various mixes (keeping good notes as to what I combined). Eventually, I mixed four quarts of Kewanni green (the lighter color, lower body) and three quarts of Elkpointe green. My cost was about $700.00. I was quoted by PPG $1500.00 for the same quantity of paint. As for primers, I used epoxy primer/sealer, high build primer and then a single stage top coat, no clear coats. I highly recommend you study the TCP paint web site. Good luck, Ed

Ed, that is an interesting comment in red. I am unsure what to say in this because I have collected a couple of different paint books over the years that are slightly different from each other. Click HERE to read an interesting thread regarding this several years ago. Comments were made that the MAFCA book was started from scratch by them. There was a company out of Tennessee that offered a Model-A color chip booklet that is similar to the MAFCA book. My PPG chips was manufactured by Ditzler and listed the specific colors of the Model-A, -and the copyright on it is like 1954.

I guess my answer to your comment is you are correct that many do not know yet what I tell my customers is; "While what shade & tints we find in the present MAFCA Paint & Refinish Guide may not be 100% accurate when compared to what color was originally used, -their book is definitely the benchmark used by most hobbyists today to determine if the shade and/or tint of a color is correct. Match the chip in the book, and most will tell you it is the correct color. Don't match and they will tell you that your color is wrong!

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote