View Single Post
Old 04-09-2021, 09:51 AM   #1
whb52ford

Default Passenger door handle lock

My lock started getting harder and harder to turn to unlock the door. And of course I locked it and bent the key trying to open it. Now its time to get it fixed. I did get it unlocked and took it to a lock smith. The lock smith turned the key half way, inserted a pin and could not get the tumblers to come out.

I figured I would try and get the tumblers out. When I got into it I discovered that the hole to insert the pin went nowhere. Somebody before me had ground off something. The tumblers were exposed. I put a small screw driver at the bottom of the cylinder and pushed it out. I cleaned it up and it was still hard to unlock.

I bit the bullet and bought a new locking handle for a 31 from Snyders. I took it to the lock smith to get it keyed to match my ignition. Guess what? The repos do not have the hole in it to remove the cylinder. I could not believe it. I called Snyders and ask how to get the cylinder out with no hole. Snyders (Tom) had no idea. I told Tom that it should be noted on the website that this lock does not have a hole so that it can not be re-keyed.

As I understood it when people opted for a locking door handle, it came with no cylinder and the dealer would furnish the cylinder and key it to match the ignition. Saying that, the Snyders door lock is not like an original because it can't be rekeyed.

Now to my question. Does anyone here know how/if I can get the cylinder out so that it can be keyed to match my ignition?
whb52ford is offline   Reply With Quote