Old 03-31-2021, 02:42 PM   #14
JayJay

Default Re: Plate Glass, Briggs or Murray Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneBob View Post
Shew01,

that's easy, break it;

if you have small pieces, it was tempered glass,

if you have medium sized pieces held together by a glue layer, you had safety glass,
if you have a slice in your hand that you are on the way to the ER for stitches, you had plate glass.
Actually, a good glass shop will have a (UV?) light to shine through the glass and depending on the pattern, determine whether it is tempered or not. Safety glass has a glue layer that the glass shop should be able to find even if you cannot see it along the edge of the exposed glass.
That's what is called, in the biz, "destructive testing". There are some other "nondestructive" ways you might get a clue, see attached.

In the picture with my gnarly fingers, the line you see logitudinal in the middle of the glass is the sandwich layer of plastic sandwiched between the two layers of glass. This is laminated "safety glass". This is in my CCPU which was fully restored in the early '80s.

Picture of the door glass in my unrestored Town Sedan shows what I believe to be original plate glass. The chip is definitely not tempered glass, and there is no evidence of any of the side glass having been replaced over the years. No evidence of lamination either. The chip looks like what a chip in any other non-tempered glass (say, the mirror on the back of your bedroom door) looks like. (All the glass will get replaced when I tear the car down for restoration this summer.)

The replacement glass that the vendors sell states that windshield is laminated "safety glass" per Federal law. Side glass specs seem to vary, some sell 3/16" "tempered" while some sell the same spec as windshield, namely 1/4" "safety glass".

JayJay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2697.jpg (39.3 KB, 34 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2698.jpg (35.4 KB, 183 views)

------------------------
1930 Murray Town Sedan
1931 Briggs S/W Town Sedan

Last edited by JayJay; 03-31-2021 at 06:56 PM.
JayJay is offline   Reply With Quote