View Single Post
Old 12-19-2018, 07:51 PM   #26
restoredguy

Default Re: New or Used Parts

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Stephens View Post
I agree 100% when you say "the tire isn’t smart enough to know if a hydraulic or a mechanical brake was actuated to cause the skid...therefore, once you achieve a skid of Model A braking...will hydraulics improve that? ". I must agree that hydraulics will not improve that. But I also note that you said "tire" in the singular. The problem is with the tires (plural). With mechanical brakes you don't get the same force applied to all 4 tires. Proper rebuilding and adjusting will solve the problems but I bet that 50% of the Model A's on the road meet that criteria. I have mechanical brakes on my car but they are in the 50% that are properly rebuilt and adjusted.

Your "footprint" observation is interesting. Most often overlooked is that the downward force on the tire is less with a larger footprint. I hear this often but would sure like to see some real tests conducted on this theory.

Charlie Stephens

What you’ve said is true enough. That was a really good comment you’ve made as well.

The downward pressure is increased (mathematically) as the surface footprint decreases...which is why when Ford first increased hp they increased the surface areas of the brakes by increasing the diameters of the mechanical brakes, and also increased the tire footprint at the roads surface, and smaller wheel sizes (obviously another factor to downward force issues), but you get that I can tell by your comments your a smart guy...and every owner since that time used those later model wheels on model A’s when they could for those very reasons....lol

sidebar: I’ve always wondered why traditional hot rod people...never/extremely rarely see those examples of those cars with the later mechanicals...and a V8...there is virtue in consistency. lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
restoredguy is offline   Reply With Quote