View Single Post
Old 05-06-2014, 08:35 PM   #18
Karl Wolf

Default Re: Flywheel Pressure plate balance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
I balance rotating assemblies all the time and a posted comment about the equal and oposite removal of weight struck me as odd. That would have counteracted the OEM balance job completely. It could be due to something as simple as replacing the starter ring gear though. A well balanced wheel should be capable of installing in any location on the crank but the bolt pattern only gives you two choices. I also find it odd that that great big weight had to be installed on a relatively small diameter rotating mass. I have a healthy distrust of the reproduction pressure plate covers and rotating disks. Some of them are junk. An old Borg Warner unit rebuilt 10-times is preferable to some of the new stuff.

Believe it or not, a person can get a pretty close balance by statically balancing the wheel and cover with something as simple as an old wheel bubble balancer as long as correct centers are maintained. I static balance the old Bell 47 rotors then check the dynamic balance after its all back together. I generally don't have to make any balance corrections and we're are talking a rotor that is over 37 feet in diameter.
I found myself replacing a clutch cover a while back. I used an old triple beam scale I have. I put three steel ball bearings under three of the (equally spaced) mounting holes for the pressure plate and carefully weighed and recorded the differences between... I would up with a small steel slug taped to a specific place to make all three bearing supported holes weigh the same, then tig welded the weight in that spot...

Karl
Karl Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote