View Single Post
Old 07-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #20
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: 3rd engine failure...getting frustrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkaminar View Post
I would like to second what Artimus said in post #11. But, by the time you add the pistons and other parts it will cost $5,000. Many parts can be taken off the old engine. In the end you will end up with a bullet proof engine. I am saving up my money for one.
Neil, may I ask how you came to that figure??

From my experiences, you are not comparing Apples-to-Apples as one comes assembled and one comes in pieces with assembly required. One includes all the components and one requires additional components.

Also, IMHO it is HIGHLY unlikely that used parts taken from an old engine are going to be in a high enough quality to make an engine bullet-proof!

Now I will be the first to agree that cover castings and an oil pan are likely suitable candidates after a thorough cleaning, but what else are you suggesting re-using that will make your total cost around $5k? Exactly which components listed below are you thinking you can re-use?

• The flywheel?
  • The flywheel housing?
  • The oil pump drive?
  • The oil pump?
  • The camshaft?
  • The valves, springs, retainers, & keepers?
  • The valve guides?
  • The tappets?
  • Head studs and fasteners?
  • The cylinder head?
  • The water pump?

My list above could likely go on however my point is that most hobbyists honestly do not have the tooling nor the skillset to restore/refurbish the above components. This, they will still need the services of a machine shop. Neil, this is NOT intended to take away from Terry's product as it is a well executed piece however IMO you are not portraying an accurate comparison at that price-point.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )