View Single Post
Old 07-27-2013, 09:55 PM   #57
jetrod

Default Re: Edison Car update from Gilmore Museum

Gentlemen, I'm late to this discussion, but I have something to add. I was raised in the downriver area of Mi. and as a young person visited the Henry Ford museun many times (in the 50's). I clearly remember the #1 engine, mounted on a rolling motor stand, on display in the museum, The Edison car was also there and both items were singled out and their unique character clearly labled, although the engine was in a different area of the museum. They were displayed like that for many years. Fast forward to the mid 60's, when as a new member of the Motor Cities Chapter, I had the opportunity to do something special. Remember in those days Motor Cities Chapter met in the Greenfield Villiage,and they had a special relationship with The Ford Museum/Greenfield Villiage, and the chapter was sometimes asked to do some things to help out. This time they asked the chapter to UNITE (REUNITE) THE #1 ENGINE WITH THE EDISON PHAETON. I along with about 6 others, on a Saturday morning did that very thing. I knew nothing of the running production changes at that time and can add nothing about any, but that the what the Museum claimed to be the #1 engine and the Edison car were reunited by the Motor Cities Chapter in the mid 60"s.--- Jetrod
jetrod is offline   Reply With Quote