View Single Post
Old 07-06-2017, 07:01 PM   #11
Kevin in NJ

Default Re: 60 miles per hour all day long

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick L. View Post
Ford had a sales gimmick of the day. The sales folks would take a customer on a good paved road and show them that the car would go that fast, but, not do it for very long.

The roads of the day would not allow that and the car was built for the roads of the day.

A properly restored car may be able to run 60 mph for an extended period today, but, at the every least, thats over driving the brakes as far as I'm concerned. JMO
It was not a gimmick.

Marco Tahtaras, who no long posts, has his roadster built back to factory. He will drive it anywhere at highway speeds. I believe he even has done a hill climb. This on a car that is only ever a couple of points from perfect JS correct. I know he has nothing special in the engine, though I believe he has a B cam and the original higher compression head.

You can choose not to believe all you want. There are quite a number of A guys with very stock A's that are running 60 MPH all the time for thousands of miles.

Oh and YES they ran 60 MPH on the crappy dirt roads of the day all the time. Or as fast as they could depending on how wash board the surface was that day. Go read the Legendary Model A Ford book. The A magazines have reprinted article throughout the years from period magazines detailing the people racing coast to coast and such in their A's

Yes, the brakes do a great job stopping at speeds. We were on the belt way going around Chicago at 60-65 when a guy came down an on ramp and slowed down in front of us. I can tell you brakes done right stop the A quite well. Was kind of wishing for seat belts.

FWIW, my brothers speedo reads low by 5 MPH. We thought we were running 55 to 60 MPH. Was not till we ran it with a GPS a few years ago when we found it was reading 5 MPH low.
Kevin in NJ is offline   Reply With Quote