View Single Post
Old 11-09-2013, 12:50 AM   #7
Marco Tahtaras

Default Re: Upholstery Question

I responded to a question on fitting new header wood yesterday (or maybe the day before). One of the issues was fitting the face panel which includes the "trough" for the header trim you are describing. The bottom line is yours is not pulled back far enough for that trough to be as deep as it should be for the trim panel to slip in behind as it should.

With that said, if you have a full 9/32" then you SHOULD be able to carefully press the panel down into place even with mohair. The thickest water resistant trim panel board is 1/8" thick but most folks use slightly thinner panel board.

Another point of interest is I've found that most folks seem to install the steel corner brackets (at the ends of the header) tilted downward slightly to make repro wood fit. The result is that the trim panel won't clear the brackets. Instinct tells you to shorten the panel to fit within that space. If you do so then there won't enough of the trim panel reaching solid wood across the top to nail firmly and possibly not even enough to cover the tacks securing the headliner. It's better to fit the panel as low as possible and trim the top corners just enough to clear the corner brackets by approximately 1/16" with no sharp corners in the off-set created.

As a side note, be sure to fit your mirror bracket first. The lower two holes should be drilled on center through the holes in the steel support. The upper hole will then be located by the mirror bracket. Run the screws in the pilot holes preferably lubricated with bar soap or paraffin, then remove. Then when doing the final fit of the trim panel you can poke through those spots with an awl for later use. Note that the lower right mirror hole is directly above the center screw hole holding up the face panel trough so one measurement vertically will allow you probe in the correct spot with the awl.

I hope this makes sense as I'm now to tired to read through and know for myself!