View Single Post
Old 09-10-2020, 10:18 AM   #44
KCTA Chris

Default Re: Title goes with Frame or Engine?

I worked for Pete and Jake's building chassis for years and can tell you its an issue here, back in the 90's there was a lot of bills passed to help through SEMA. Missouri title stays with chassis. I had an issue with a '34 where the out of state DMV kept it with the body. At that time the two department officials couldn't agree and Missouri - instead of issuing a new 551 (Drpt of Rev. new ID number) had me file for replacement title. needless to say there are two '34 ford 3 windows using the same vin in the USA.

My '55 Chevy came from Texas, Missouri thats a title/engine year, Texas is reversed, the car had a replacement motor, both again disagreed and we let them settle it out.

There is an supervising inspector (recently retired) who says there is no such thing as a chassis without a title in Missouri or vin parts for sale at swap meets, told me a titleless chassis should be surrendered to DMV. later when building a titled vintage Willys with an updated Jeep chassis (both titled) you must surrender the VIN tag to the state inspector for your new form and ID.

Recently I restored a vintage wood kit boat, had to retrack the owner after two years because he wrote the bill of sale for the outboard, and boat on one piece of paper, my state says must be to be separate papers, the neighboring state doesnt even need a title. You also need a engine title, that was not available until the 70's so more paperwork, three trips to the inspector to get it done, then they come out with my new metal tag and two 1/4 rivets. I say "hey I brought stainless wood screws". Sorry, the book says metal tag must be pop riveted to the hull, there is no provision for wood boats so thats how it has to be done. They drilled and butchered my African Mahogany and scratched the area, of course it wouldn't work so they taped it on and said to fix it off the property - sorry for the rant - still pissed.

I'm a tax paying law abiding supporting citizen but they sure make it difficult for the honest guy.
KCTA Chris is offline   Reply With Quote