View Single Post
Old 04-18-2021, 05:32 PM   #85
52Allard

Default Re: Rebuilding an Ardun OHV 1954 - 1956

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bored&Stroked View Post
Looks like Sisler purchased a lot of high quality and proven race components - I wonder if he ever got the engine completed and on the road? Joe Hunt was a personal HotRod friend on mine - in the 70's, he had his shop on Crenshaw Blvd in Torrance - which was on my way to school. Joe Reath introduced me to Joe Hunt (I was 16 years old) and Joe became my ignition mentor. He setup my first Harman Collins dual-point, then my Harman Collins mag for my blown flathead afterwards. I used to help him in his shop and with some of his various vintage Offy projects. He was a wonderful man and always had time to answer my questions and help me with my projects. In recent years, I replicated his magneto testing machine here in Ohio - as the way he explained it to me made sense, so I had to make my own in later years. It is my 'Frankenstein' ignition tester! LOL
Thanks much for sharing Bored&Stroked.
I used to help out a guy named Lynn Yakel who was part of the California sports car culture in the '50s and knew Dean Moon, Vic Edelbrock, Stu Hilborn and the drivers like Phil Hill bunch of other names that I forgot. Lynn had a Mercedes 300SL that he bought either new or fairly new. I wish I had thought to ask more questions of him at the time. There was definitely something very special pioneered by those guys. Hotrods are still a thing 70 years later.
I'm sure you cherish your time spent learning from Joe Hunt.

As for Sisler, I think he did get the Ardun running as he sent a letter to renew his subscription for the Allard Owners Club newsletter in 1960 so that was after his Ardun rebuild and before the Cadillac engine. He must have been happy with the car at that time. I'm sure he had some local friends able to help out too. He was active in his sports car club so I'm sure some of the guys took pity with all the issues and helped him sort things out.
52Allard is offline   Reply With Quote