View Single Post
Old 09-06-2020, 01:58 PM   #1
shew01

Default New Hub Cap Installation

A while back, I noticed a crack on one of my wire wheels, and I moved that wheel to the spare tire position until I could find a replacement wheel. A couple of months ago, I found a couple of used wheels at Bratton’s, and I had a local shop powder coat them. I finally got the wheels back from powder coating, and they look very nice. So, it’s time to get at least one of them of the car to replace the cracked wheel.

I purchased some new hub caps and the Bratton’s O rings that are supposed to prevent rattles.

For whatever reason, I expected the new hub cap to snap right into place, but it looks like it’s going to chew up the new powder coating instead because the hub cap tabs are set wider than the hub cap opening. Before taking a pair of needle nose pliers to the hub caps to straighten the hub cap tabs (and reduce tension so the the hub cap will go onto the wheel), I thought I would check on the forum to see if there is a better way to install a new hub cap. Once I monkey with the tabs, I don’t know if I’ll be able to get enough tension on them to keep them from falling off while driving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shew01 is offline   Reply With Quote