View Single Post
Old 06-12-2010, 10:45 AM   #18
Terry, NJ

Default Re: A question for model A and T purists.

I believe that Henry Ford's cars wear probably about as good as they could have been considering the limits of materials and design then. The main problem is probably bearing failure. Bearings have come a long way since 1930, both roller/ball and engine. And lubricants too. Not to mention Meehanite castings, better steels and plastics. And let us not forget Tires! The expected mileage of a tire has increased almost tenfold, especially with the developement of radial tires. The increased voltage and amperage of batteries and gen/alternators has increased the use of more powerful electrical equiptment. There are only a few mods you can make on an A (or T) that don't include changing the part to a more modern Material.
Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
No , I believe one of the standards for quality was a Bugatti Royale, When I was like 6 some one gave me this model of one that was designed to be built by a 40 year old. Its one of the first cars I ever really dreamed of, made of unobtainium. Its just a question to ponder,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
If in the early years of Ford motor company, Henry Ford woke up one morning and said, I don't care about cost, I don't care about the efficiency of mass production, I want to make one or maybe many more, of the absolute finest examples of automotive machinery ever produced in the form of one of his A's or T's. Produced to the highest standards, the tightest tolerances with no detail over looked, how would he have produced this vehicle. Lets compare it to a high quality BMW, or Mercedes skunk works auto, where they pull out the stops. Factory produced is done on a budget, to a strict margin, a profit margin can limit the overall quality aspect of an item. Quality can be interpreted to an almost infinite standard. Can a machine that is rebuilt be rebuilt to a standard that goes beyond the quality of the factory standard be regarded with respect among its peers, or must the standard be the factory mark and thus a restoration to factory standard. Points aside, and not classifying as restored, how far up the spectrum of the quality standard is a machine allowed to go, we're talking stock components with excellent attention to detail fit and finish, and beyond stock factory product. To Bugatti standards.
Terry, NJ is offline   Reply With Quote