View Single Post
Old 05-18-2010, 02:03 PM   #14
David Conwill

Default Re: A question for model A and T purists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank The Plumber View Post
If in the early years of Ford motor company, Henry Ford woke up one morning and said, I don't care about cost, I don't care about the efficiency of mass production, I want to make one or maybe many more, of the absolute finest examples of automotive machinery ever produced in the form of one of his A's or T's...
In Ford: The Men and the Machine, Robert Lacey relates how one day in 1913, some of Henry’s lieutenants surprised him at the factory with a lowered T runabout finished in bright red and with all of the trim polished to perfection. They were proposing to follow on the success of the T with a higher quality variation. Supposedly he said nothing but proceeded to tear it apart with his bare hands, such was his love for the mass produced Lizzie, and his hatred for the middle-priced Model K that had come before, and to which he viewed this sporty T as a return.

Sounds like you’re proposing what they did, but as a what-if-Henry-had-relented scenario.

To that end, I’ve at times fantasized about what a ‘30 or ‘31 Mercury might have been like, perhaps with a straight six (something else Henry hated).

Maybe if Edsel had been stronger willed...

-Dave
David Conwill is offline   Reply With Quote