View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 04:51 PM   #17
Synchro909

Default Re: Why Grease should not be used in a Steering Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 Deluxe View Post
What about CV joint grease used in the axle joints of front wheel drive modern cars? It both flows and is extremely "clingy". To me, it is a lot like the John Deere "cornhead grease" and a lot easier to find. By the way, John Deere makes a grease for low speed gearboxes and another for high speed gear boxes. We want the low speed variety for steering boxes.
CV grease contains Molybdenum Disulphide. That is what gives it its extreme pressure rating. The same stuff is in any "EP' gear oil which is known to dissolve some bronze bushes so take care here. I prefer graphite grease.
All that said, I use Penrite steering box lube and I'm not afraid to mix in a bit of grease or self levelling grease but remember, the steering box over here is very close to the exhaust and gets warm after a few miles. I think the lubricants you guys are using will lose viscosity and leak out quite quickly. It is a whole different consideration here.