View Single Post
Old 02-12-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Why Grease should not be used in a Steering Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth View Post
Brent, I am not disputing what you write I just have a question. Did Ford really use 600 wt. oil and what you refer to using in your steering box or was it more like what the vendors today call 600W which I have been led to believe is closer to SAE 140-250 wt. oil according to this chart?

Also what “scale” was used for the 600wt. oil?

Gets kinda confusing.
It is confusing mainly because what has been passed down from generation to generation. Kinda like what Ford called the Dash is what some call the Firewall today. I went back and changed the WT to W however this is only a difference in abbreviations. The W & the WT are basically the same abbreviation.

To answer your question more specifically, part of your answer can be found in the Service Bulletins. I don't have them in front of me now so I do not have an exact quote to look at, but somewhere it makes reference of the lube to be of 600w thickness or consistency. I have only seen the M-Spec (material specifications) number mentioned for the 600W now have I ever seen Ford's usage specification for it.

This topic has been discussed many times here in years past where the Service Bulletins specifically specify using a Steering Gearbox lube in one place, -and yet in another area it lists the Transmission and the Rear Differential as both using the same lube however does not mention the steering gearbox as using that same lube. Is this an oversight? Likely as I have mentioned over & over, the Service Bulletins were not without errors and maybe this is another one such example. Therefore I am pretty certain the context in the Service Bulletins which specifies that 600W was the viscosity of the lube to be used. I think where the confusion comes in is where the industry viscosity ratings have been changed over time. Are you just as confused now as what you were when you asked the question??

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote