View Single Post
Old 06-26-2021, 07:08 AM   #53
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Why Grease should not be used in a Steering Gearbox

Quote:
Originally Posted by psimet View Post
Here to raise the thread from the dead... I appreciate the nuances of these discussions but I also find (as a recovering engineer) that I experience heavy "analysis paralysis".

Reviving my 28 with a 7-tooth setup. Grease fittings on it. look like possibly more modern versions that my uncle may have put on in the 70's. Pull them both out and use "600W" oil and replace with NPT plugs? Mix up my own 00 / 600w homebrew and fill a "grease" gun with it and pump a few pumps in?

or pump a couple pumps of grease into what is probably a box filled with dried up grease and walk away for now until the inevitable re-build?

The lighting switch housing is covered in what can only be described as a thick layer of oily separated grease. Might also be because I had to spray the control rods down with penetrating oil at the upper bushing just to get them to move....

Advice? I'm willing to do whatever (short of pulling everything and rebuilding it now).
As Colin suggested, it may be better to start a new thread but since you did post something here, let me just give you a couple of quickie suggestions. Jack-up the front end and place on stands to take the load off of the steering gearbox. Find some 85/140 gear oil at your local parts store of choice and top off the gearbox. Begin turning the steering wheel from lock to lock to begin working the new lube into the existing grease. Yes, it like likely leak out of the sector housing or out of the lower end, but this should be fluid enough to begin remixing with whatever is in the box. Later you can change to a different weight lube when it meets your timeline.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote