View Single Post
Old 02-25-2015, 10:57 PM   #2
Joe K

Default Re: Transmission Question

I want to say yes. But you may be experiencing the "new gear" syndrome - that being that new gears, even a full set from the same source, may come from different manufacturers - and may have um, differences between the gears.

These differences add up to make some noise.

I have a mix & match transmission that is made up (I think) of similarly aged gears. It runs ok. Nothing spectactular. But it does have some "wind down" noise when downshifting into second.

The rule of thumb I got previously (old Ahooga board) and I guess it still holds is to try to source your gears from a trusted seller (snyders, berts, brattons) and buy them all at the same time and question them as to the source. If not this then try to do as I did and use a relatively consistent set of used gears and try not to change things too much between transmissions.

There is a concerted effort to try to "match" gears from the manufacturers. And your source (whomever) should be able to tell you anything he himself might question regarding his gear source.

You also don't say what exactly you're using for transmission oil. It may be possible to change oil to a bit stiffer brand and reduce some of that noise. Some "back in the day" have compounded 140 oil with graphite, STP or other additives to attempt to make a slicker, quieter, easier shifting transmission.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but you may be seeing what there is to see. Certainly experiment with your oil. Resist any thought of putting sawdust into the tranny (it will make it quieter) And comfort yourself with the thought that it will only get better as everything wears together in time.

I think of it as encouragement to use your car more.

Well, any excuse is a good one.

Good luck,
Joe K