View Single Post
Old 07-24-2016, 08:38 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Muffler heat shield??????

FWIW: One Homemade Enhanced Heat Shield:

I cleaned all of the 80+ year old road grim and oil from the bottoms of my oil soaked wood floor boards with POR 15 Marine Clean, and then painted the bottoms of my floor boards with POR 15.

Next adhesively applied a single layer of "aluminum" faced duct tape to the horizontal "bottom" of the floor board, including the approximately 45 degree board facing the engine ........... thus reflecting 97% of radiant energy from the muffler, the vertical exhaust at manifold, the heat from the engine compartment, and the radiant heat from the hot asphalt or concrete road surface below.

Placed carpet padding over floor boards, under carpet floor mat for 1930 Town Sedan.

Adhesively applied aluminum faced sound deadening to in-side of fire wall, provide 3/4" required air space, then installed synthetic, plastic sound deadening insulated firewall over air space to reflect 97% of radiant energy from engine compartment, plus hot air exiting the warmer radiator.

For a lovely Model A passenger wife or girlfriend, works similar to Hallmark Christmas Cards ..... If You Care Enough to Send the Very Best?

Last edited by H. L. Chauvin; 07-24-2016 at 08:43 AM. Reason: typo
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote