Thread: Condenser
View Single Post
Old 05-17-2021, 08:51 PM   #16
tubman

Default Re: Condenser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian NZ View Post
I only run .36 UF Magneto Condensers in my V8s and I recommend them to other guys when I rebuild V8 distributor, Recommended by Bubba all others have too low a M.F.D.
I will have to challenge this statement. The capacitance of a condenser is best determined by several factors, the two most important being coil inductance and the optimum speed of the engine. I have not done any research on early (pre-war) Ford coils, but from what I have seen, early Fords seem to have required more capacitance than current can coils. Because of age and attrition, there are few (if any) original early Ford coils actually being used these days, and just about everyone is using something more modern. Most modern "can" coils (and, I believe "Skip's coils) are of modern manufacture and, in fact, are better suited to condensers in the lower 20's range (which most modern capacitors are). I believe the long-time .36 micro-farad recommendation is just a "hangover" from the old Mallory "trash can" condensers that were so popular 40 or 50 years ago. That recommendation seems to be just an expression of the old "if some is good, more is better" convention.

In all actuality, the actual capacitance of the condenser is not that important as long as it is within reason. For most uses, a .22 is as good, if not better than a .36. What is more important is the ability to with stand the voltage spikes present in the "dirty" power from cars with generators, as well as the heat and vibration encountered in day to day automotive operation.

I have a pre-war Ford document on my computer in Florida that list the condensers they supplied with their distributors back in the day and shows capacitances from the low .20's to the low .40's, as well as the interesting statement that "too low a capacitance will accelerate point wear, while too much capacitance will hurt performance".
tubman is offline   Reply With Quote