View Single Post
Old 01-18-2018, 10:20 AM   #23
Liberty Garage

Default Re: New Doodlebug Owner

At long last enough other projects are caught up and I am a year or so into semi-retirement, no more excuses, the doodlebug has become the number 1 project.

Started working on the engine a couple weeks ago, first pulling the clutch and discovering that it must have been replaced just before they stopped driving it, the disc still clearly read "flywheel side", the pressure plate was very clean and the flywheel remarkably smooth. I had been thinking a new clutch but am just going to replace the disc and bearings.

Pulled the head and side valve cover and the cylinders were straight and smooth, the pistons are stamped ".020" and are snug in the bores, no ridge at all and the valves all looked really good, some looked fairly new. Rolling the engine over, I did discover a couple sticky valves, especially the number 3 intake valve. On the subject of valves, two of the intake valves are stamped "exh", which makes me wonder how an exhaust valve ended up in an intake hole?

Used a valve spring compressor, took all valves loose so could examine and then lap them in, the valve seats and faces looked excellent, hand lapped them and also took care of the valves that were hanging up with a good cleaning of the stem and working penetrant into the stem and guide.

As I lapped each pair of valves and then reset the spring and retainer, I took the opportunity to check clearances. All valves were between .015 to .019, except the #4 exhaust, which was a bit snug at .007. I could have pulled the valve by knocking out the guide, but then how was I going to cut it and keep it straight? Decided to leave the valve in place, cover the lifter and surrounding area with thick rags, laid a small fine metal file on top of the protected lifter and then used the lapping stick tot rotate the stem end on the file. It took a while but when the clearance was at .011 I decided that was "good enough" and also feeling the end of the stem sill felt nice and smooth. I was afraid to go to far, as not sure how deep the hard surface goes.

Also pulled the pan and other than a coat of congealed oil, everything looks really good and you can see the rods have been off, probably rebabitted at least once (if not twice) as the rods and caps have two sets of rebuilder marks identifying which cylinder they go to.

Camshaft looks good, timing gears look great, no wear, all teeth look perfect. Pulled oil pump apart and am giving it a thorough cleaning and also squirting penetrant down oil passages and using compressed air to push any old oil or goo out. Oil pump appears to be the latest version of the A style and gears and cover in good shape.

Other bits; bought a carb and distributor off ebay, a Tillotson and an old Mallory. Will kit the carb and so far the Mallory looks really good except the rotor which is cracked. We are planning to coat the rotor with liquid rubber just to hopefully hold together for an initial start and maybe later we can find a better rotor on ebay or?

At this point will start putting the motor back together as my brother is coming over from eastern Washington to help set the motor in the tractor next weekend.

Here are some pics;
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 012.jpg (75.6 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 003.jpg (68.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 005.jpg (70.6 KB, 79 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 003.jpg (59.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 004.jpg (43.7 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 007-2 rotor closeup.jpg (67.9 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg Model A Motor 011.jpg (66.3 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 004.jpg (71.5 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 001.jpg (76.6 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-9-18 002.jpg (61.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 003.jpg (50.8 KB, 77 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 004.jpg (79.2 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 014.jpg (61.3 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 013.jpg (53.4 KB, 72 views)
File Type: jpg Doodlebug 1-12-18 016.jpg (61.6 KB, 75 views)
Liberty Garage is offline   Reply With Quote