View Single Post
Old 12-07-2020, 01:50 PM   #1
NoahVail

Default Brake lights swapping when signaling - 61 Galaxie

This is a 1961 Galaxie Sunliner we rescued from a field in MD (orig owner).

Presently: We have front and rear signals but only one brake light. Signaling left or right (min 2 sec) either restores both brake lights or swaps them. There's a pattern but I don't recall it.

We've replaced the flasher and it didn't have any effect. I've looked over the wiring schematic (linked in another post) and the only likely culprit I see is the signal switch.

Should I be checking out anything else?

Originally: We had no rear signals and passenger brake light only. We checked and cleaned the sockets, soaked the signal assembly with contact cleaner. That restored the rear signals and started the brake light swapping. Pulled the steering wheel and poked around the signal contacts a bit but nothing changed from that.

Background: It sat with no top for months at a time. We've been restoring functionality and getting ready to daily drive it. The orig owner attempted restoration, some decades back. Drive train work seems good but the rest was less than expert. The wiring is pretty much intact, with just a bit of ingenuity here and there. We've shored up the dodgy connections.

Last edited by NoahVail; 12-07-2020 at 02:53 PM.
NoahVail is offline   Reply With Quote