View Single Post
Old 07-10-2021, 09:31 AM   #191
KULTULZ

Default Re: New baby 1953 Merc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc Cruzer View Post

As to the "FORD LUBE CHARTS", I looked them up and they were of no use since they are all period and date correct. They all say Type A.

What I would like to see is a Ford Factory service bulletin that would have been sent out to the dealers, addressing the issue of the replacement of Type A transmission fluid.
As would I ...

There is no current back-fill correct chart that I know of. What I was implying is that one must read the OWNERS MANUAL for his exact year car and go by what FORD now recommends to use as back-fill.

FOMOCO used GM formulated TYPE A from 1951 to 1957, GM formulated TYPE SUFFIX A from 1957 to 1959. FOMOCO then formulated its own ATF beginning in 1959. The correct fluid for use was FORD TYPE D (1959/ ). It was replaced by TYPE F in 1968. There was no DEXRON (GM TRADEMARK - 1967) usage except for a short period in the early seventies. GM FLUID before DEXRON was introduced was TYPE A or TYPE A SUFFIX A.

What you are seeing now is a refiner attempting to offer a fluid that is supposedly compatible with either application, its description as being MULTI-VEHICLE. MERCON is a TRADE-NAME that FORD began using in 1987 so that throws more information into the fray. Then correct formulations and license has long expired. A seller can put anything on the label that will help sell the product.

The same goes for PS FLUID. You use what the OWNERS MANUAL or a FOMOCO LUBE CHART (of the period calls for).

We should have a contest. The player has to start at the very last post of a thread & then try to guess what the OP's original question was about ...
KULTULZ is offline   Reply With Quote