View Single Post
Old 11-27-2017, 03:03 PM   #227
HarveyH

Default Re: Model A Huckster Group

Howdy Guys, I'm looking for some transmission advice for my Huckster project. I'm building a WagonWorks "2-seat Huckster Van". I haven't started cutting lumber yet but my 1930 chassis is almost finished; all it needs is the transmission. I've planned all along to install a synchronized Mitchell transmission (just the tranny, not their overdrive also) and now I need to determine which of their three gearing options to specify.

I assume that the wooden Huckster body will weigh a bit more than the typical sheetmetal Model A coupe or sedan body so I'll need to factor that into the transmission's gearing equation. And while my rebuilt engine is mostly stock, I've added a few improvements such as a 5.5:1 head, B-grind cam, and an FS auto-advance electronic distributor. However, I'm also planning to install an air conditioner and it will likely eat up any extra power that the engine improvements have added.

My expected driving conditions: I'm building my Huckster mostly to carry my model airplanes between my house and the local R/C club's flying field, 12 miles away. Getting from one to the other is mostly via flat country backroads. We have no hills here in the Houston area but there might be an occasional overpass to cross over a freeway.

Using the above info, would y'all suggest...
A. Standard transmission gearing?
B. 2nd gear 15% higher with other gears stock?
C. 1st, 2nd, & reverse 15% higher, 3rd gear stock?

Thanks,

Harvey
1942 HD45 WLA
1970 BSA 650 Lightning

Last edited by HarveyH; 11-28-2017 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Clarified my post a little
HarveyH is offline   Reply With Quote