View Single Post
Old 02-07-2016, 08:26 AM   #7
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: Shaping new wood to fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ctillberg View Post
All of my wood I'm sure was original, doesn't appear there have been any restorations done. My replacement parts are from ford wood, and the match up fairly close to what has come off that isn't dust. Structurally I think I'm close, except I'm struggling with dry fitting the steel. I understand the new wood will need some sanding etc, but I'm trying to get those steel parts to line up and I'm not sure how perfect they need to be....once I glue and screw the joints together, then that's it.
The joints and the metal need to fit tightly together on both accounts. Think of it in this scenario. How would you feel about the drywall in your home if it had a gap between it and the stud/rafter wood? How strong do you feel the house would be if the wooden joints were full of mismatched gaps & voids? A Sedan body's construction is even more crucial because of the road vibrations/twisting, and a body that is setting on a weaker foundation.

FWIW, I have found that deteriorated wood has shrunken due to moisture content being lost. We have noticed this by comparing print dimensions with the old deteriorated wood. If your new wood matches the original wood in dimensionally, I think I would be concerned.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote