View Single Post
Old 06-25-2020, 11:51 PM   #10
Thriftmaster

Default Re: 39 transmission. V12 OD to V8-60????

This has been a very interesting response and a lot of interesting information. and I value all of your knowledge and input on this. As I previously mentioned I know from some of the hot rod mags of the late 50's and early 60's that guys were transplanting V8-60's into model T's and that is were I got the idea from.
I do know that this engine is far from stock, it has boxed rods. bored 60 over, the block is relieved, it has johnson adjustable lifters, stainless valves, Edelbrock block letter heads, and matching 2x2 intake with a H&C magnito. I have never run a V8-60 but I have had a few of it's big brother stock and hopped up. The 5 spd is probably the smartest way to go with this setup along with the right gearing of coarse.
How ever I really like the idea of just the shear challenge of trying to convert the 39 box into an overdrive setup like HOOP is or was attempting to do.
I have not done anything with any of this yet but it is available to me and for a very reasonable cost. If just for the sheer fun of it I decided to buy and install this setup with the overdrive side shifter box I would think that the rear end gearing would need to be in the 4.11 range? But with all your info I will have to give this some serious consideration.
Thriftmaster is offline   Reply With Quote