View Single Post
Old 12-13-2019, 08:51 PM   #11
1crosscut

Default Re: Head Bolt Torque-Hot or Cold?

Here is what I do.
After the initial torque when a head is installed I'll start an engine and run it at idle for 20 seconds and only 20 seconds without any coolant in the engine.
I then wait for a few minutes for the heat to saturate through the head and then torque it.
After that I wait until it is cooled and torque it again.
I repeat this process at least three times.

Not having coolant in the system for the initial short warm up cycles eliminates any chance of coolant seeping past the head gasket and causing issues.

After this I fill the system with coolant and run the engine until it gets warmed up to 190 degrees. I put a dial meat thermometer in the top opening of the radiator and cover a good portion of the radiator with cardboard to help get it up to temperature.
When it gets up to 190 I remove the cardboard and allow the engine to run until the temperature goes back down to 180 and then shut it off.
Keep a close eye on the thermometer while bringing it up to temperature. Don't trust a motometer for this.
I then torque it while warm, allow it to cool and check torque again.
By now it usually settled in and holding torque.

After putting a few miles on it check again. Keep checking until it stays put.

Check torque at least once per year after that.

Driving a car with a newly installed head that has only been torqued once or twice and not checking the torque after that is just asking for problems farther on down the road.

I'm a firm believer that you can not torque too often as long as you don't over torque.

Lots of steps but it works for me.