View Single Post
Old 02-01-2016, 03:18 PM   #3
Mart

Default Re: Intake valley sludge

Ok, I'll bite. If that motor were in one piece I'd leave it alone and continue to run it. As the pan is off though, , I would wash the valley down and try and flush as much of that stuff out the bottom. I wouldn't go mad, just give it a couple of washes through with gasoline, or your favourite cleaning solution. The two sheet metal shields unclip, so they can be removed and washed thoroughly. The areas under the clips can be cleaned then.

Really, to my eyes at least, that does not look bad at all, but as the pan is off, washing off anything you can is probably a good idea. For any crud to do damage, it would have to become unlodged, and get through the oil filter screen and then get pumped up to a bearing. The chances of this happening must be pretty slim.

Either leave it alone, or wash what you can out, either would work.

What you wouldn't want to do, is wash that valley out with the pan on. You would never know how much crud you have moved into the pan and would be sitting there waiting to be picked up by the oil and pumped round the engine.

On my motors I have put a couple of magnets in the bottom of the valley in case any metallic particles come floating by.

Other people's opinion may, and will, vary.

Mart.
Mart is offline   Reply With Quote