Thread: 1cm
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 07:19 PM   #19
56markII

Default Re: 1cm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Since it is a Mercury M6, Does it have Canadian 1CM heads on both sides? Canada always did things a fair bit different than the US cousin prior to the buy out by Ford Dearborn. The reason I ask, is that both of my 1951 Mercury cars were early 1951 manufactured in December 1950 at the same plant in Saint Louis, MO. One has never been apart and it has 8CM heads. The other had an overhaul by one of my uncles back in the late 50s and I think the 1CM head was the replacement part for a cracked head. I can't confirm it since none of the folks involved are currently living but I've always wondered why it only had one 1CM head. When the 1952 engines came out, they changed to EAC 255 heads to increase the compression a bit just like they did with the EAB Ford 239 higher compression heads. Trucks in the USA seem to have mostly 8RT heads in 1952 & 53 and possibly much earlier for the most part.

Another question would be to any late 1951 Mercury owners out there about whether they have 1CM heads on both sides or not? I am just wanting to confirm whether they were used in 1951 production or whether they were just replacement heads. Ford may have changed a mounting location such as the oil filter canister or something of that nature as well.

Since I have a Canadian 1950 Mercury and not a Monarch (yet) 1949 and 50 Canadian Mercury in both the Mercury and Monarch flavors had heads with C8CM with Made In Canuckastan casted directly below. In 1951 our heads had C1CM and the same casted comment below made in Canuck
American 1949-50 had 8CM and 1951 1CM and I suppose I have an American 1951 core in my hoard as it has 1CM on the heads.
My transmission also being a Canadian Borg Warner with OD has the same part number as the American parts manual BUT has a C in front of the part or casting number.
The additional C in the model and part number indicates Canadian or perhaps Complicated
Oh and our trucks also had 8RT heads, both in Ford and Mercury trucks. I have seen a number of them over the years as well. Who the heck knows about the Mercury and 255 but anything is possible? My father used to have a 1952 Mercury M7 3 ton and it is unknown to me what it had under the hood because he sold it over 40 years ago. In the owners manual I was surprised with the engine options! The flathead V8 of course, a 317.5 Lincoln engine and this was the same year it was offered in Lincoln replacing the 337 flathead and to my surprise a Diesel engine as well, possibly a Detroit??
I will dig around and see if I still have the manual which would be hard to find now being a Canadian Mercury truck.

One thing is for sure is the Meteors in the same time period and up to 1954 had the 255 in them quite often. I had a 1954 Meteor and it had the 255.
56markII is offline   Reply With Quote