Thread: 1cm
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2021, 08:42 AM   #10
rotorwrench

Default Re: 1cm

Since it is a Mercury M6, Does it have Canadian 1CM heads on both sides? Canada always did things a fair bit different than the US cousin prior to the buy out by Ford Dearborn. The reason I ask, is that both of my 1951 Mercury cars were early 1951 manufactured in December 1950 at the same plant in Saint Louis, MO. One has never been apart and it has 8CM heads. The other had an overhaul by one of my uncles back in the late 50s and I think the 1CM head was the replacement part for a cracked head. I can't confirm it since none of the folks involved are currently living but I've always wondered why it only had one 1CM head. When the 1952 engines came out, they changed to EAC 255 heads to increase the compression a bit just like they did with the EAB Ford 239 higher compression heads. Trucks in the USA seem to have mostly 8RT heads in 1952 & 53 and possibly much earlier for the most part.

Another question would be to any late 1951 Mercury owners out there about whether they have 1CM heads on both sides or not? I am just wanting to confirm whether they were used in 1951 production or whether they were just replacement heads. Ford may have changed a mounting location such as the oil filter canister or something of that nature as well.

Last edited by rotorwrench; 04-02-2021 at 08:51 AM.
rotorwrench is offline   Reply With Quote