Thread: Babbit woes
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 04:19 PM   #8
Kohnke Rebabbitting

Default Re: Babbit woes

Quote:
Originally Posted by daren007 View Post
I will work on getting pictures. There is a good chance they were not peened. Would skipping the peening process affect the bonding? Any chance the fracture was caused by the bonding failure or could the fracture take place before the bearing let go.
There really is no bond on cast iron, what it amounts to is a very hard crimp from the babbitt, to hold on to the bearing shell.

Many think the Anchor holes, were put there to hold the babbitt in. Not so, they were put there to keep the Babbitt from spinning, just like a Locking Lip, on a modern Bearing. If the babbitt is loose in in the shell, it will also be loose in the Anchor holes. If not peened right, there is gap between babbitt, and the shell. What happens then, the crank peens the cold babbitt, and breaks it out, and then breaks it up.

Another thing, on a Chevy 4 Cyl, and the Olds, 4Cyl the front, and rear bearings are solid Babbitt, front, and rear. They are not peened, and have a lug that goes in the block to keep the bearing from spinning. The bearing is poured on one of our machine jigs, that compensates for the shrink, that is a perfect fit, to the bored mains. The bearings are held in place with there shims.

The front, and center main caps, there is a lot of things to go wrong. One of the biggest ones I see is using a cutting torch, used on heating a bearing, really, makes as much sense, carrying it around, using to light your cigarettes. The reason is, even if it were tinned properly, the hot spot of the torch, put close to the center, will burn, and turn the tinning to carbon with in 5 Sec. They would never see it, unless they knew what to look for, but what is the chances of that!

There is so many others things, but I don't want to bore you. The sad thing is, a Guy gets a new babbitt job and he puts 2,000 miles on the babbitt, and it goes bad, but he only drives a few miles a year, or he misses a year or two. It could be 20 years before he knows he got screwed.

The bottom line is, get your money back, don't let him do it again, looking for a different out come.

Herm.
Kohnke Rebabbitting is offline   Reply With Quote