View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 07:21 PM   #7
Synchro909

Default Re: How long did it take you to align the radiator, hood, and doors to the body?

I had someone sideswipe my '29 Phaeton a few years ago and my dealings with their insurance company reflect what Brent has said.
The impact was on the RHS front mudguard (fender). It was obvious to me that the force of the hit was transmitted through the headlight bar to the left mudguard and bent the mounting bracket for it too. It had to come off, straighten and refit. The insurance company wanted a series of photographs of the damaged car so I made sure there was one from dead ahead showing the headlights off centre and the different levels of the mudguard crowns. When they received my repairer's quote, they said they wouldn't accept there could be damage to the other side of the car, I referred them to the photos (they hadn't had the smarts to look at them) and explained what mechanics of how it happened. After several contacts from different people, I finally got one guy who saw it for what it was and the repair was approved.
They had plenty of experience with modern cars but none with car of this age. They quickly learned (were told by me) that there is a big difference. I consider myself fortunate that the alignment of the bonnet wasn't affected. I don't think they would ever have been ready for that lesson.