View Single Post
Old 05-24-2022, 09:22 AM   #6
BRENT in 10-uh-C

Default Re: How long did it take you to align the radiator, hood, and doors to the body?

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillCNC View Post
Hey All,

I have a two question's for you all,

1. I received my accident repair quote from the other insurance company and they have allotted 3.0 hours for the entire process and was wondering how many man hours it took to do your's for those that have done it?

2. How many hours do you think it would take to prime, paint and polish out a rear fender?

I know it took me a hell of a lot more time than 3 hours for me to align everything all by myself the last time I did it.

Regards
Bill

Hey Bill, let me start by telling you that I see a fair amount of collector car collision work come thru my shop, so I likely have a good feel for this. Although our location differences prohibit us from being an option for you, feel free to reach out thru e-mail anyway and I will help you any way I can.

Generally speaking, most appraisers have no real experience in writing collector car collision repair, ...and the underwriters are ok with this for a couple of reasons simply because these Adjustors will write the estimate low, and if the insured chooses to accept their low estimate number with the intention to pocket the money, then all is well. They know that if a professional shop gets involved, the shop will re-write the estimate to reflect more accurate costs. I have a Model-T in the shop right now where the Adjustor provided an estimate of a little over $7k to the owner. The actual estimate I wrote is about $18k. The difference is the scope of work the Adjustor wrote did not account for many other things including straightening instead of replacing.

I will list some thoughts below;
1) -in reality, it is hard for us to give an accurate time-allotment since we do not know the extent of why the hood, doors, and radiator need to be aligned in the first place. Is the frame damaged in any way?? The alignment of the items you mentioned is doable in the allocated time if a separate operation for proper straightening the frame has been performed.

2) -again, we do not know the condition of this fender to begin to assess a time allocation. Has it been media-blasted and in bare metal ready to be primed? Has it been straightened (bodyworked) and just requiring one coat of primer/surfacer (sealer) and then go straight to paint?? Are they paying to paint and buff just the exterior of the fender, -or both sides??? What is the condition of the paint on the other 3 fenders???? Is it an amateur paint job with orange peel and wavy bodywork, -or is it professional quality paintwork where it will require extra time colorsanding and buffing to make it 'slick' to match the paint on the other fenders.

BRENT in 10-uh-C
www.model-a-ford.com
...(...Finally Updated!! )

BRENT in 10-uh-C is offline   Reply With Quote