Thread: 29 steering
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 10:40 AM   #7
Joe K

Default Re: 29 steering

The 1928-29 steering columns resolve themselves into the two types: either 7 tooth with the A-3616-B light switch rod, or the 2 tooth with the A-3616-C light switch rod.

The two columns are slightly different length (as reflected by the different length light switch rods) but as units are interchangeable functionally and stylistically.

The 1930-31 are all similar in style, different from the 1928-29, all built on a 2 tooth gearbox, but in 3 different lengths (as reflected in their light switch rods A-3616-F, A-3616-G, A-3616-H which are all different.) It is a different column though with different sector/detents at the top of the column and styled for the 1930-31 model car.

Generally I would NOT recommend going to a 7 tooth column UNLESS it comes to you rebuilt and ready to go - or you want to go through the exercise in rebuilding it. Done right (beyond replacement of parts) rebuilding the 7 tooth is a significant challenge.

The two tooth is a challenge too, but the results are a lot more predictable. Ford "improved" the steering because of problems/lack of adjustment/possibly premature early life failures of the 7 tooth column.

Go with the 25 dollar 2 tooth from a pickup.

I bought a $5 2 tooth column from "Honest John" Bradley at the Amherst, NH Antique Auto Flea market. He was selling it so cheap because someone had gotten a wire rope hung up around the steering column and "dented" the exterior of the column quite severely. This a column from someone's "doodle bug" tractor.

Rebuilt only to including straightening the column sheet metal by banging it over a 1" pipe, paint, and re-adjusting - it's my $5 gloat column.

Hope this helps,
Joe K

Last edited by Joe K; 04-08-2014 at 10:56 AM.
Joe K is offline   Reply With Quote