View Single Post
Old 11-26-2020, 08:43 PM   #18
blindenlaub

Default Re: My Distributor Cam Screw is Stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by katy View Post
What makes you think that the timing needs adjusted?
Have you checked the timing to see if'n it needs to be adjusted?

Maybe the timing doesn't need adjusting and you're just making work for yourself.
I am adjusting the timing to correct a condition that prevented full spark advance when I bought the car. The spark control was set up so that moving the spark lever all the way up placed the arm on the distributor in the middle of its range. The timing was set to give 0 degrees advance in this position. The spark lever would advance the spark only in the first 5 notches down before the distributor arm reached the limit of its range. It was as if the spark control rod was too short. To get full range on the spark control I lengthened the control rod by cutting the rod and installing one of those brass dog-bone-shaped spark rod adjusters. It gave me the extra length I needed. Now full range on the spark control lever gives me full range on the distributor arm, as intended. But the ignition is still timed for 0 degrees advance when the distributor arm is in the middle of its range. I need to adjust the timing so spark lever all the way up gives 0 degrees advance like it is supposed to.

Sorry for the long-winded explanation. I hope it makes sense. I really appreciate everyone's interest and all the suggestions you have given me. One of the reasons I chose a Model A is the strong support within the Model A community like you all have given me.

Next I plan to heat the screw with a torch, and then while it is hot have a friend bear down on the screwdriver while I try to turn the screwdriver shaft with a wrench. If that doesn't work, I will try using an impact driver. If that fails, perhaps it's time for a new distributor as Ernie suggested.

Brian
blindenlaub is offline   Reply With Quote