View Single Post
Old 01-27-2017, 01:10 AM   #15
H. L. Chauvin

Default Re: Platigage and bearing clearances

Hi Bob,

As to "What do you guy think?

Never used foil or metal shims in over 59 years, & never used the modern Plastigage Crap introduced by United Kingdom in 1948.

My Dad born 1902, Gramps born 1867, Great-Grand-Gramps born 1836 and Great-Great-Grand Gramps with his steam boats, (the Paragon and the Teche), born 1813, & all of us always adjusted bearings successfully without the plastic crap which came out after people lost hand and eye coordination and developed horrible hand writings, developed 5 thumbs, could not "see" level or square , and/or round objects, and could not "feel".

If theses same Plastigage dependent guys ever tried to built boats with hand planes & hand saw and planks, they would have all leaked and sunk .... so they had to use Plastigage crap to adjust bearings and later buy aluminum boats or fiberglass boats.

Ten years ago on my 1930 Town Sedan, for bearing adjustment , I still used the "feel" method ............ much later recommended by Henry Ford for Model T's in the 1920's in his Model T Ford service Manual.

But just one opinion based on Babbitt bearing adjustment perfection from our ancient steam boat engine book written in 1848; <Les Machines a Vapeur>.
H. L. Chauvin is offline   Reply With Quote