View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 09:17 AM   #41
Tim Ayers

Default Re: What are the advantages of upgrading to Hydraulic Braks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Miller View Post
While someone contested about the motorcycle being a direct comparison it was a 750 Shadow street bike. My point was that his technology has not been abandoned. And it is funny because you will see most dirt bikes running hydraulic discs.
Frank,

That was me. I agree that the technology isn't abandoned and that's odd that a 750 street bike would have mechanical brakes still. Not doubting it, just find it odd.

I've been out of the bike world for a bit. Is the Shadow a lower level Honda?

Agreed most dirt bikes have gone all hydraulic; especially racers. I think Honda introduced hydraulic rear brakes with either the '86 or '87 CR line and started to introduce them into the lower level dirt bikes afterward.

On a racer, I think it has to do with reducing unsprung weight since the hub is lighter when using a rear disc.

For a racing (which a did a bit in the 125 class), I guess it's because you use the brakes a lot. It's more a feathering of the brakes, so maybe the thought is just a light squeeze of the lever brings the brakes on and the rider has more "feel" or "control" over the amount of braking. On a 2 stroker, it's not uncommon to be feathering the front brake while giving it throttle out of a turn to get back into the powerband.

That said, all of my boy's beginner bikes (all under 100cc) had mechanicals front and rear, but these were entry level bikes.
Interesting question.

Last edited by Tim Ayers; 01-11-2021 at 09:22 AM.
Tim Ayers is offline   Reply With Quote