View Single Post
Old 10-25-2013, 04:29 PM   #37
yachtsmanbill

Default Re: Something let go in the tranny

You can bet that at 15,000,000 million units, Ford had a lot of machining fixtures already made up so a machinist merely chucked it up and made a single cut, with the next lathe over doing the next process. I located the XYZ axis off of the center of the carrier and checked the mounting flange for runout; they can get sprung and raise heck with setting pinion to ring gear clearance. I think the book gives you .003 and I had .005. If it were off by .010" I would've taken a truing cut off that face.
In your situation with no lathe, set the carrier on end on a cast iron table saw bed and a few drops of oil, with the indicator point on the flange. Turn the carrier and check it for runout that way, as the bearing surface should be reasonably flat as well. If you read .000 I wouldnt worry, but if some big numbers come in like .025 , Id find a lathe to use as a centering fixture for accuracy purposes before proceeding. ws