View Single Post
Old 04-30-2021, 02:03 PM   #14
Will N

Default Re: Front tire excessive wear

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Brian T, I looked at the space between my backing plates and the tie rod ends, and it is equal on both sides. Jayvee34, I've been taking some measurements to see if I'm out of square. I used a framing square against the rear axle housing and front axle at the same spot on both right and left to draw a line on my garage floor, and I measured. The distance between the front and rear axles right and left is the same down to the 1/16". Then using the framing square against the leading edge of the hubcap I marked lines on the floor front and back, left and right. I made sure that the pitman arm was pointing straight down using the square too. The left side measured 7/16" longer than the right. I know that these measurements can be influenced by the steering being even a little off center, but if the pitman arm is perfectly vertical, shouldn't that mean that the steering is centered? If so, then with my steering centered, it seems my front tires are pointing off to the right somewhat which would create the longer wheelbase on the left side. My toe in is set correctly, so I guess that while I'm driving straight ahead my steering is actually a little to the left of center to keep both wheels pointing straight ahead. But would this contribute to the uneven wear? KR500, is it just the cross member that sets the camber, or is it the relationship between the cross member and the wishbone ball joint. What kind of alignment shop would be versed in a solid axle front suspension? A truck shop?
Will N is offline   Reply With Quote