View Single Post
Old 03-17-2021, 08:20 PM   #14
Marshall V. Daut

Default Re: Clutch replacement, 1932 Coupe

Thanks for the replies so far and moral support. Good reading and very informative. I will try to get more photos in the next couple days. I have not personally driven the car, so I don't know about the lock-to-lock steering difference. I'll see if I can duplicate that on jack stands. Is there a reason you ask, V8COOPMAN? Do you see something amiss in that area?
The owner tells me the clutch chatters when he lets out the pedal. From my Model A experience, that usually points to a bad disk or one without the caged springs. Since the engine apparently has to come out in order to do a clutch job (GREAT DESIGN THERE, HENRY!!!), that ain't going to happen in this case. Way too invasive for me in unfamiliar territory with a $65,000 Coupe that isn't even mine!
While underneath the car examining the back of the transmission, I noticed two 5/16" bolts each on either side of the transmission tail piece that go through the back of the cross member and have nuts below. They are loose and flopping around. I can't see any purpose for these bolts that do nothing other than go through the rear of that cross member. Huh??? I assume something is missing that these bolts are supposed to secure. Are these bolts for the anti-chatter rods mentioned by Charlie? Or where should these rods be if not there? What do they look like and where do they attach? If they are missing, perhaps that's why the clutch chatters? There must be SOME reason for these loose bolts to be there!?! I have no manuals for early V8 cars, so I can't compare photos with what's here and what isn't.
While the car is jacked up, I'll remove one wheel and check for the required adapter spacer. And if there aren't any? Will this stress the lug studs to the point of snapping or throw off the centering of the wheel vis-a-vis the drum?
Marshall, V8 dunce
Marshall V. Daut is offline   Reply With Quote