Thread: Winter project
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
RichPA

Default Winter project

Would like to start out by saying I am a "lurker" on this forum mostly because the majority here are restorers, and I am just the current caretaker of my 29 Briggs 3 window Fordor. Fordbarn is probably the best source of information for these cars anywhere and and has saved me a lot of time, money and work in my efforts to get this car where I want it to be.
The car has never been restored but rather has been maintained as Henry designed it over the years.(Very little modern updates). The PO supposedly bought it from the family that bought it new, had it for about 3 years and tried to fix it, only to give up after 2 years, lost interest and then sold it to me. the interior has been replaced with vinyl, the engine was replaced with a good rebuilt unit and the rear fender appear to be repro.
When I got it in 2010 it would barely start and ran poorly, the steering was very tight and loose at the the same time, the only thing that happened when you stepped on the brakes was the stop light came on, the in line fuel filter plugged up with rust after 10 minutes of running, coolant overflowed constantly and when you hit a bump in the road she would change lanes. The battery was hooked up backwards which created all kind of problems.
So far I have removed and cleaned the fuel tank (no sealer), went through the brakes including freeing up the l/f pivot(it was stuck fast preventing brake action on any wheel), replaced the plugs, condenser and set the timing which cured the starting, running and overheating problems, rebuilt the 7 tooth box which was worn out and bent, and replaced the muffler which was blown apart from backfiring.
A few problems remained, I have the notorious engine vibration on decel, the water pump leaks since I replaced the fan blade, and the clutch chatters.
So now that there is heat in the garage and some time off I pulled the engine yesterday. My intentions were to overhaul the water pump, replace the motor mounts and look at the clutch.
Here is what I found:
Front crossmember cracked all over by the u bolts
Motor mount brackets cracked and broken
Clutch disc oil soaked, pressure plate fingers visually out of adjustment
Flywheel ring gear teeth chewed
Frame not sagged (thought it was)
My input shart from a modern F350 trans fits the clutch and pilot bearing as a line up tool. Crazy.
I am composing a list of parts needed to put her back together, IMO Brattens rules.
All suggestions and comments are more than welcome, you guys (and gals) are the best.
RichPA is offline   Reply With Quote