View Single Post
Old 11-25-2019, 02:14 PM   #19
Old Henry

Default Re: 47 generator rear bushing

The last couple of days the generator has come on and run for about 20 minutes with a slight noise. Then I started smelling a burning smell. About as soon as I did the generator went off for about another 20 minutes until it cooled down, then came back on. I wondered why.

When I took it apart today this is what I found. The bushing was pretty much worn clear out. It was nothing to pound a screwdriver between it and the cylinder to break it in two to pull out. I pounded the new one in then turned to the front one. As soon as I looked at the armature I realized why the cycling on and off with heat. The rear bushing was so worn that it let the armature hit the inside and rub on it enough to heat it up, burn off the insulation between the armature plates, and shut the thing down until it cooled down. I decided the generator was toast and ordered a rebuilt one off of ebay for $100.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bushing worn.jpg (103.5 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg Bushing out.jpg (170.5 KB, 23 views)
File Type: jpg armature burnt 2.jpg (124.4 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg armature burnt 1.jpg (126.5 KB, 24 views)