View Single Post
Old 10-10-2020, 07:44 PM   #25
GB SISSON

Default Re: '40 front fenders

Well it's finally Saturday and I had some time to work out some details.... detail #1 '40 ford stuff doesn't work for what I'm doing. a) the wheelbase difference from 40-42 is 112"- 114". Never mind that 40 stuff like a standard grill is 500 bucks....Since the cab and bed are the same, the 2" comes from front axle placement. Because of this the 42- fenders line up more favorably with the landcruiser axle placement. The whole bit about track width being different by about 2.5 " has now been negated by the fact that solid front axle toyota wheels have less backset, ie deeper dish and stand out further. I had a set with some old school 33 x 9.50 15 tires. Pretty much comparable to the 7.50 x 17s on a tonner. #2 Jailbar tonner stuff does work. The fender itself is the same (with the opening 2" ahead of a 40 type), but the tonner-2 ton fenders (which nobody wants) has a larger cut out from the factory. So with the track width solved by straight axle type toyota truck wheels and the axle forward thing solved by later sheet metal, I am on track to build this strong running 4wd into a regular frankentruck . It is not a build suited to fordbarn, so if I share it online it will most likely be on FTE. I doubt the hamb group would be interested either. The running gear on this toyota is sized about like f350 stuff, (the axles are actually larger dia), and best of all I have it already and a bunch more landcruiser and jailbar stuff stacked up like cordwood behind the shop. Here are a couple pics before I exit. ( I have no intentions of leaving the barn with my multiple real ford projects)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg blue tonner fender on 1.jpg (75.0 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Blue tonner fender 2.jpg (79.2 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg blue tonner fender on 3.jpg (77.3 KB, 52 views)
Owner/Operator of 'Jailbar Ranch' on the side of Mt. Pickett. Current stable consists of 1946 1/2 ton pickup turned woodie wagon with FH V8, 1947 Tonner Pickup (red) mostly stock with exception of a cummins 6at turbo diesel, 1946 Tonner Pickup (green) with 226 cu in 6 cyl flathead, 1979 Toyota landcruiser wagon, completely encased in 1947 Ford Jailbar sheet metal. Ok, cornbinder rear fenders..... 'Rusty ol' floorboards, hot on their feet' (Alan Jackson)
GB SISSON is offline   Reply With Quote